Compact Binoculars Review – Having a great binocular was the dream of every 90s’ child, isn’t it? Whether it is a camping trip or a mere hiking trip, binoculars are still relevant, even for an adult. A camping trip without a binocular is like having ice-cream without chocolate sauce. However, not always everyone is up for traditional binoculars that take ample space in the bag pack. In such cases, people go after small version of binoculars or compact binoculars. Any binocular with a second binocular number can be called a compact binocular. Here, in this article, we are going to introduce you with the best compact binoculars that are present in the market. Have a look.
- 1 Compact Binoculars Buying Guide
- 2 Top 10 Best Compact Binoculars
- 2.1 1. Bushnell 138005 H2O Compact Roof Prism Binocular
- 2.2 2. Leica 8×20 BCR/Black Ultravid Compact Binocular
- 2.3 3. Canon 10×30 IS Ultra-Compact Binoculars
- 2.4 4. Nikon 8-24×25 Compact Zoom Binocular
- 2.5 5. Vortex Optics Viper HD 10×42 Roof Prism Binocular
- 2.6 6. Bushnell Legend Ultra HD Compact Folding Roof Prism Binoculars
- 2.7 7. Wingspan Optics NaturePro HD 8X42
- 2.8 8. MINOX BV II 62030 8 x 25 BR Compact Binocular
- 2.9 9. Celestron 71330 Nature DX 8×32 Binocular
- 2.10 10. Steiner Safari UltraSharp 8 x 22
- 3 Advantages and Disadvantages of a Compact Binocular
- 4 Use of Compact Binoculars
Compact Binoculars Buying Guide
There’s lots of difference between a traditional binocular and a compact binocular. Most people confuse a compact binocular with a birdwatcher scope, but those are not the same thing. And as they are not the same thing, they have different buying guides too. Let us have a look.
Compact binoculars are called compact because they have a small size that can be fitted easily in your bag pack or your pocket, depending on the lens size. The lens size of a compact binocular varies from 20mm to 30mm. So, you cannot expect a compact binocular with 32mm or more. If you want to use a binocular with portable quality and that can be fitted in your pocket, go for a 20mm lens binocular. Again, if you want a binocular that produces sharper images, a 30mm compact binocular would fit your purpose.
People tends to buy compact binoculars with high magnification. Compact binoculars have a range of magnification from 6x to 10x. Its better to go for 6x than 10x because 10x binocular might need the assistance of a tripod to see a great image.
As compact binoculars are known for its size and weight, being lightweight is one of the important points. Depending on the features, compact binoculars can even be heavy. However, 200g to 500g weight range seems perfect for a compact binocular.
If you are going to use your compact binocular against rough weather, waterproof quality is important. Lots of compact binoculars are said to be waterproof, but they are only protected against water. A compact binocular is waterproof when it is nitrogen purged. So, be careful about that.
Top 10 Best Compact Binoculars
1. Bushnell 138005 H2O Compact Roof Prism Binocular
- Magnification x Objective: 8 x 25 millimeter
- BaK 4 prisms for bright, clear, crisp viewing
- Multi coated optics for excellent light transmission
- 100 percent waterproof : O ring sealed and nitrogen purged
- Non slip rubber armor absorbs shock while providing a firm grip
If you are looking for the best compact binocular of all time, the Bushnell 138005 H2O is the best choice ever. With great lens and image quality, this compact binocular is one of the best compact binoculars ever. It is waterproof and fog proof as well.
Lens – It is roof prism binocular. It has Bak–4 lens that produces clear images. The images are bright, clear, crisp and sharp.
Waterproof and fog proof – Another great feature of this binocular is waterproof and fog proof. It is nitrogen purged, and O-ring sealed too.
Magnification – It has 8x magnification feature. Thus, anyone can watch birds or animals far away in the wild with the help of this binocular.
Vibrant colors – Due to multi-coated optics, this binocular produces vibrant colors, and you can experience the true color of nature as well.
Firm grip– It has non-slip rubber armory which provides a firm gripping system.
- Waterproof and fog proof
- Great magnification
- Smooth focus
- Vibrant and clear images
- It does not have any such cons
2. Leica 8×20 BCR/Black Ultravid Compact Binocular
- 10X MAGNIFICATION provides good detail identification even at long distances
- HIGH LEVEL OF OPTICAL PERFORMANCE provides the same resolution and sharpness as larger Ultravids, offers outstanding suppression of stray light and allows you to detect even the faintest objects
- CENTRAL FOCUSING KNOB ensures fast and precise internal focusing
- HDC MULTICOSTING and AQUADURA COATING on outer lenses protect the optical systems against water, dirt, scratches and abrasion
- RUBBER-ARMORED and WATER-RESISTANT HOUSING provides maximum robustness and protection to a depth of 16.5ft./5m and makes the Leica Ultravid BR very resistant and reliable in any situation
With the best optics on, Leica is one of the best compact binocular producers. And the new 8X20 black Ultravid compact binocular is no exception in that field as well. It is a roof prism binocular which is a great help in every hunting and bird watching trips. Let us have a look.
Lens – Leica uses fluoride lenses in their binoculars, and that produces great images. It provides a great light transmission system for which it produces a greater image quality.
Image contrast and colour fidelity – The new Ultravid model of Leica provides a great range of image contrast and colour fidelity. Thus, it provides high resolution and brightness too.
Smooth focus – Another great feature of this product is smooth focus system. You do not have to worry about having a blurry image because this product has a built-in focus stabiliser.
Magnification – With 8x magnification, this binocular is the best choice to watch birds and animals in the wild.
Waterproof – Also, it is perfectly waterproof and fog proof too.
- Waterproof and fog proof
- Great focus system
- Vibrant colour
- Not durable enough
3. Canon 10×30 IS Ultra-Compact Binoculars
The new Canon Ultra compact binocular is a great compact binocular for professionals. Lightweight and great focus– these two features of this binocular has made this product so famous. Let us have a look at the features.
Magnification – This ultra-compact binocular is accompanied by a 10x magnification. Thus, with such high magnification, you can watch birds, animals from a great distance.
Image stabilizer – It has built-in image stabilizer. Thus, while zooming in, you do not have to worry about the image quality of the far away object.
Waterproof and fog proof – Another great feature of this product is that it is perfectly waterproof and fog proof. Thus, you do not have to worry about handling it in the rough weather.
Eye relief – Also, it has removable eyecups which help in eye relief. Thus, it is quite a helpful product for people with specs on.
Lens – It has HD lens which produces great vibrant coloured images. Thus, you do not have to deal with blurry images anymore.
- Waterproof and fog proof
- Great eye relief
- HD lens
- It has image stabilizer
- It has smelting rubber coating
4. Nikon 8-24×25 Compact Zoom Binocular
- Aculon A211 10 22x50 zoom binoculars are designed to be as light as possible along with excellent ergonomics
- Easy to reach fingertip zoom control knob allows for quick and easy adjustment of the binoculars magnification from 10 up to 22 power. Interpapillary distance adjustment (millimeter) - 56-72
- Turn and slide rubber eyecups allow for comfortable viewing during extended periods of use; Minimum focus distance 49.2 feet / 15 meter
- Multicoated eco glass lenses deliver a bright and clear image in most lighting conditions; Field of view 1000 meter (meter/feet) 66/199; Apparent field of view (°) 36.7; Real field of view (°) 3.8
- A durable rubber armored coating ensures a non slip grip, even in wet conditions; Exit pupil is 2.3 - 5 millimeter
If you are looking for a binocular that can fit your pocket size, the Nikon compact zoom binocular is just for you. With great lens and multi-coated optics, this Nikon binocular is a better compact binocular for professionals and amateurs.
Lens – This Nikon binocular is accompanied by Bak–4 lens which produces high-quality images. It also has multi-coated optics and multiple layers of anti-reflective compounds too.
Magnification – This Nikon binocular has 8x magnification. Thus, with the help of this, you can easily see animals or birds far away in the wild.
Vibrant colours – Another great feature of this binocular is that it produces images with vibrant colours. It comes with great resolution and brightness.
- Waterproof and fog proof
- Great magnification
- Vibrant colours
- Great lens with multi-coated optics.
- It has anti-reflective compounds as well.
- The focus is not always steady.
5. Vortex Optics Viper HD 10×42 Roof Prism Binocular
- 10x magnification & 50mm objective lenses, these diamondback HD binos are optimized with Select glass elements to deliver exceptional resolution, cut chromatic aberration and provide outstanding color fidelity, sharpness and light transmission.
- Fully multi-coated lenses increase light transmission with anti-reflective coatings on all air-to-glass surfaces. Dielectric coating provides bright, clear, color-accurate images. Armortek coating protects exterior lenses from scratches, oil and dirt.
- Adjustable eyecups twist up and down for comfortable viewing with or without eyeglasses. Center focus wheel adjusts the focus of both binocular barrels at the same time. Diopter (located on right eyepiece) adjusts for differences in a user's eyes.
- Rubber armor provides a secure, non-slip grip, and durable external protection. Binoculars are tripod adaptable allowing use on a tripod or car window mount.
- Argon purging and O-ring seals provide water and Fog proof performance in all environments. Rugged construction withstands recoil and impact. Includes glass Pak harness.
An absolute delightful engineering and design, this Vortex Vipers HD compact binoculars could be a great addition to your trip. High magnification and great image quality have made this binocular famous in the market. Let us have a look at the features.
HD lenses – This binocular is accompanied by great HD lenses. Thus it produces great image quality which is one of the best features of this product.
Multi-position eye cups – It has multi-position eye cups which help in eye relief. Thus, if you have specs on, these eye cups will never let you face any problems.
Dioptre Ring – The dioptre ring system helps to lock away or allow corrections while setting up a focus. Thus, this helps you to sync in perfectly. In a nutshell, Dioptre ring feature helps to see an object more accurately.
Waterproof and fog proof – Another great feature of this binocular is that it is waterproof and fog proof. Thus, it can be used for extreme rough weather and any hunting or camping trips.
- Waterproof and fog proof
- Dioptre ring system
- HD lens quality
6. Bushnell Legend Ultra HD Compact Folding Roof Prism Binoculars
- Rain guard HD water repellent lens coating
- Lightweight, magnesium chassis
- Waterproof and fog proof
- Includes a soft carrying case, Microfiber carry bag and neck strap
- Never look directly at the sun wih your binocular ,as it may cause serious damage to your eyes
If you are looking for a folding roof prism binocular, the Bushnell Legend Ultra HD compact binocular would be the one to count on. Being one of the best compact binoculars, this Bushnell product will satisfy your urge of bird watching and hunting.
HD quality – One of the best features of this product is the HD quality. Thus it produces great colours, and the vibrant colour makes your nature experience more vivid than ever.
Magnification – It comes with 10x magnification. Thus, you can watch an object that is placed far away. Not to mention, it is a perfect tool for every kind of hunting trip.
Lens – It has exceptional BaK–4 lens, ED prime glass, and Ultra Wide Band coatings. Thus, you can experience great lens brilliance with this binocular.
Lightweight – It only weighs 400g which is quite lightweight and can easily be carried around with your while travelling.
- Soft touch gripping system
- Waterproof and fog proof
- Durable and ergonomic structure
- Folding feature
- It needs a tripod to keep the focus steady
7. Wingspan Optics NaturePro HD 8X42
- Model #172666 - BX-4 Pro Guide HD 10x42mm in Shadow Gray
- Elite Optical System - Leupold’s Elite Optical System offers excellent dawn-to-dusk light transmission for a bright image when it matters most, elite-level glare reduction in harsh light, and the resolution and clarity that diehard hunters demand
- High Definition fully multi-coated lens system ensures maximum brightness for clarity, contrast, and color fidelity at all magnification levels
- Smooth precision central focusing dial, twist up adjustable eyecups, tri-pod ready adapter allow for all day glassing comfort
- 100% Waterproof and fogproof and backed by Leupold's legendary customer care
If you are looking for a professional birdwatcher binocular, the Wingspan Optics compact binocular would probably be one of the best choices. With great HD and color fidelity, this binocular is one of the best compact binoculars.
Vibrant colours – With this binocular, you can experience the colours of their truest form possible. It has ultra HD system installed in it which provides exclusive colour fidelity. It is great for watching birds, animals or any kind of insects.
Extra wide field – Another great feature of this binocular is an extra wild field. This NaturePro binocular will let you experience a 1000 ft high eagle with flawless clarity.
Multi-coated lenses – Also, this binocular has a great lens with multi-coats on. It has phase correction coat which helps to produce high index prisms. Also, such high-quality lens produces great resolution too. It has 8x magnification which is perfect for watching birds and animals in the wild.
Close focus technology – It has advanced close focus technology which helps you to experience objects at a far distance, close to you. Also, the focus is steady and does not get blurry with slight movements of the animals or the birds.
- Waterproof and fog proof
- HD quality. Vibrant colours
- Heavy weight
- It lacks gripping system
8. MINOX BV II 62030 8 x 25 BR Compact Binocular
- 4K video & 4K photo: Panasonic’s exclusive 4K photo technology uses 30 frames per second in high resolution 4K ultra HD video to extract them as photos; You’ll never miss that moment again
- Leica DC Vario Elmarit lens: 24x zoom (25 600 millimeter with Full zoom range F2; 8 aperture for enhanced low light shooting meeting the stringent quality standards established by Leica
- High image Quality: The 12.1 Megapixel high sensitivity MOS sensor with the venus engine excels in diffraction compensation, yielding images that are crisp & Free from artifacts associated with small aperture settings
- Rugged Camera Design: Splash Proof/dustproof rugged camera design with tight seals on every Joint, dial and button, so it stands up to harsh weather conditions and challenging
- 5 Axis Hybrid Optical Image Stabilizer Plus: Reduces blur from 1 handed video shooting by compensating for 5 types of movement; Level shot function detects horizon line & maintains it, even if the camera is tilted
This Germany product is one of the best compact binoculars for the professionals. However, many recreational tourists also use this binocular. Fog proof and waterproof, this binocular has many great features to be listed as one of the best binoculars. Have a look.
Lens – The Minox BV II compact binocular uses BaK–4 roof prisms which fit perfectly for hunting and bird watching purposes. The optical glasses are of top notch quality, and it produces clear images too.
Magnification – The magnification of this binocular is 8x which is perfect for watching birds, insects, plant and other animals from far distance. Also, such high magnification gives out great depth of field as well.
Lightweight – Another important feature of this binocular is that it is extremely lightweight. It weighs only 200g. Thus, it is an ideal compact binocular with small size and lightweight.
Waterproof and fog proof – Also, this Minox binocular is perfectly waterproof and fog proof. So, it is fitted for every kind of extreme rough weather use.
- Waterproof and fog proof
- Eye relief
- Difficult focus. A small movement makes a huge difference.
9. Celestron 71330 Nature DX 8×32 Binocular
- Designed with the outdoor enthusiast in mind, waterproof and fully rubber armored.
- Phase coated BaK-4 prisms for increased contrast and resolution.
- The smartphone Adapter connects your smartphone to your telescope, so you can capture images and video through the eyepiece.
- Works with all smartphone devices.
With 32mm lens, the Celestron compact binocular is best for watching for birds. Also, if you want to watch an impressive landscape, the Celestron compact binocular will perfectly assist you. It has many features.
Lens – This binocular has a multi coated lens which is excellent for watching birds and animals. The lens of Celestron has a great image contrast with high resolution.
Magnification – This Celestron binocular has 8x magnification. Thus it is ideal for watching birds, insects, plants, and animals. Also, it gives an excellent wild field of view too.
Image quality – The image quality of Celestron is really good. With good brightness and resolution, this binocular perfectly lives up to the expectation of the user.
Eye relief – As this Celestron model has twist up eye cups, there is plenty room for eye relief. Thus, people with specs on do not have to struggle at all to get a good view of the object.
- Lightweight and inexpensive
- Good lens
- Great image quality with resolution
- At full extent of magnification, some image blurring even can take place. Sometimes, it needs a tripod.
10. Steiner Safari UltraSharp 8 x 22
- Steiner Safari 8x22 Ultra Sharp Binoculars - Fit into any jacket pocket when folded together Thanks to the 8x magnification and high-performance High-Contrast-Optics, the most compact Safari UltraSharp is convincing with a glossy, sharp image.
Innovative design with great image texture, the Steiner Anti-glare ultra sharp 8X22 compact binocular is one of the best binoculars. With anti-glare protection, this binocular is lightweight and provides many other features as well.
Lens – The lens of this binocular has high-contrast coating and UV coating which provides high-level performance. The lens of Steiner is very good, and it helps you to get the perfect clear image of the objects.
Magnification – This binocular provides 8x magnifications. Thus it is quite ideal for seeing any animal from a distance. However, sometimes such high magnification needs a tripod to get a clearer view.
Image quality – Steiner uses purest index match glass and coating which help it provide high definition image quality. It has remarkable brightness and first-class light transmission. Also, the images have high contrast with sharp features.
Eye relief – This binocular does not have any specific eye relief. In case of specs, you have to bring down the ergonomic eyecups to get a better view.
- It is waterproof and fog-proof
- It has a ClicLoc system so that you can easily release neck strip
- It lacks the gripping system
Advantages and Disadvantages of a Compact Binocular
Every other product has their pros and cons. And compact binoculars are no exception in such case. It has many advantages and disadvantages as well. Let us start with the advantages of a compact binocular.
Size – Size is one of the greatest advantages of a compact binocular. Compact binoculars are smaller in size which makes it easy to carry around. Whether you are going for a hunting trip or a camping trek, you can always carry compact binoculars and never worry about the size. You can even fit it into your pocket too.
Lightweight – Compact binoculars are lightweight which gives a great travel advantage. It can be carried around easily, and it does not need any extra tripod or other supportive material to use it.
Optical standard – Smaller lenses are easier and less expensive to produce high optical standard than the other traditional binoculars. With 6x to 10x magnification, it is easy to produce high-quality images than other high magnification binoculars.
Low price – Another great advantage of using compact binocular is the low price. As it has the less expensive lens and smaller size, it is less expensive as a whole from other traditional binoculars.
Low resolution– Unlike other big traditional binoculars, the compact binoculars will never give you the higher resolution that you are seeking to watch an object far away. This is simply a law of optics. Thus, if you want a binocular with great resolution, compact binocular would not be a great choice.
Eye fatigue– Another important shortcoming of compact binocular is eye fatigues; especially if you are planning to use it for a long observation session. It has smaller lenses and smaller exit which stresses the eyes out.
Low image brightness– As compact binoculars have low resolution, they produce low image brightness as well. And the reason behind this problem is the small front lens.
Use of Compact Binoculars
Just like any other traditional binoculars, compact binoculars have many uses as well. The various uses of compact binoculars are as follows.
Bird watching– Compact binoculars are excellent if you are up to bird watching. It is small in size; so you can easily sneak it without the birds noticing you. Also, it has great optical standards which let you have a great picture quality as well.
Hunting purpose– A compact binocular suits a hunting purpose perfectly. As it is lightweight and has a small size, it is easy to sneak into your pocket and keep an eye on the animal you are following.
Camping trip– Every other camping trip needs a binocular necessarily. And no other binocular can fit the purpose than a compact binocular. Compact binoculars are smaller in size, and they are lightweight. Thus, it fits your bag pack easily, without much trouble.
Trekking– Any hiking or trekking needs a mandatory binocular for a safe journey. It is quite impossible to carry traditional heavy binoculars on such trips, so compact binoculars only provide you with such assistance. Not only that, but compact binoculars have good optical standards as well which helps people to keep track of the road.
Marine purpose– Compact binoculars are also used in case of marine purpose. Traditional binoculars are also used as marine binoculars; however, lots of people are using compact marine binoculars nowadays as well. It is easy to use and lightweight which provide the perfect assistance in case of any marine scoping and spotting.
Safari– Another application of compact binocular is safari. Whenever you are up for any safari, compact binoculars would be the best option that is available to you.
Last update on 2021-06-12 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API