A pop-up canopy is a frame tent or a portable gazebo that is a collapsible shelter. A pop-up canopy has a top and a frame made up of Aluminium or steel. The top of most of the canopies is made up of polyester.
A large number of trade shows, festive and sports events are increasingly using pop-up canopies. They are really easy to set up. This is the main reason why most people prefer these over traditional tents. Its available in various sizes and designs. Wanna make a camping trip enjoyable with enhanced safety? A best pop up canopy is a way to go!
Pop Up Canopy Buying Guide
The market is loaded with different kinds of canopies which makes it difficult for the buyers to choose. Let us take a look at this Pop-up canopy buying guide.
Size of the Canopy
A pop-up canopy is available in various sizes. However, a 10 by 10-foot canopy is the standard size. If you opt for a larger size make sure the number of legs increases accordingly. This is needed for a proper stability.
Slant vs. Straight Legs
Canopies mostly come with two kinds of legs- slant legs and straight legs. Most people would think that this is just a matter of style. Well, it’s not. There are important structural differences that have to be taken into account while choosing the type of legs. Slant legs provide less area of coverage and a wide base. Straight legs offer more stability and coverage. Models with a straight leg design are often more expensive than slant leg ones.
Related – Best Travel Crib Reviews
Material of the Cover
Durability, fire retardancy, UV protection, and resistance to water are some of the important factors that you should consider while choosing the material of the cover. Mainly there are three types of materials that make up the material of the cover.
Polyester covers are durable and water resistant. Although it won’t keep water at bay forever, it will definitely protect the canopy for some time. Although, there is a certain degree of protection from UV rays, it’s not the best. It is the most affordable pop-up canopy available on the market.
Polyethylene covers are mostly water resistant and provide UV protection to a great extent. It is perfect for people who are looking for a sturdy yet not so heavy canopy. Just make sure that the canopy is treated with a flame-retardant material otherwise it may catch fire in events like a bonfire.
The cover is of polyester that has been coated with vinyl. The vinyl coating makes the polyester resistant to water and enables it to provide UV protection.
Material of the Frame
The biggest question that arises while choosing a material for the frame of the pop-up canopy is what material should you choose for the frame- Steel or Aluminum? Well, some important factors to be considered while deciding the material of the frame are lifespan, weight, and durability. The lifespan should be long enough to make the canopy worth your money. It should be durable and not too light or too heavy.
If durability and strength are your top priorities then you should definitely go for steel as your frame material. They can withstand strong winds and heavy rainfall. Although, steel frames are a little difficult to assemble. A steel frame that is properly maintained can last for many years.
If you want a lightweight or something that is easy to assemble, pack or carry around then a frame made up of aluminum will definitely suit you. If it bends, you might have to replace certain parts.
1. AmazonBasics Pop-Up Canopy Tent – 10 x 10 ft
This pop-up canopy tent has cathedral type roof and a leg design that is angled in such a way that it provides a lot of shade. It also provides 99% protection from UV rays of the sun. This tent is easy to transport. It is made up of high-grade, durable steel material frame and has a finish of a white powder coating in order to prevent peeling, chipping, rusting and corrosion.
This tent is perfect for all your fun activities including craft fairs, picnics, street festivals, tailgating parties and various sporting events held outdoors.
- It provides a nice area for shade along with 99% UV protection.
- The ease of setting up and transporting is definitely an added advantage.
- The legs are adjustable so they adapt to both plain and uneven surfaces.
- It is not fully water resistant as you can’t use it in very heavy rainfall.
2. Abba Patio 10 X 10 ft Outdoor Pop Up canopy tent
The Abba Patio 10 x 10-Feet Outdoor Pop Up Portable Shade Instant Folding Canopy is made up of a tough and durable fabric that provides protection from UV rays. The steel frame used in this pop-up canopy is high grade and sturdy. It is coated with powder in order to prevent peeling, rusting, chipping and corrosion.
Related – Best Camping Cot Reviews
Stability can be an issue during heavy winds. But this pop-up canopy has extra lines and stakes to provide enhanced stability in heavy windy conditions. This 120 x 120 x 108 inches pop-up canopy weighs 43.2 pounds.
- The lines and stakes provide additional stability in windy weather.
- This canopy is ideal for camping, outdoor events, picnics, parties, various sports events.
- The cross supports if not handled cautiously may snap. So, be very careful while handling these.
3. CORE 10′ x 10′ Instant Shelter Pop-Up Canopy
The best part about the CORE 10′ x 10′ Instant Shelter Pop-Up Canopy Tent is that it folds up real quick! The manufacturer claims that it can easily fold up within 2 minutes. It provides approximately 100 square feet of shade and 50 plus protection from UV rays. It is constructed with a frame made up of strong and durable steel that makes its build quite sturdy.
This pop up canopy is one of the best options available in the market for events like festivals, camping, tailgating, etc. The dimensions of CORE 10′ x 10′ Instant Shelter Pop-Up Canopy Tent are 10 x 10 feet and a 112″ center height.
- It provides plenty of area for shade.
- The seams are fully-taped to provide weather protection.
- The UV protection provided by this pop-up canopy is only moderate.
4. AbcCanopy 10 X 10 Ez Pop up Canopy Tent
The whole package includes one 10×10 feet pop-up canopy; one mesh wall, half wall; four sandbags, stakes, ropes and side walls; and a roller carry bag. The frame is made up of sturdy and durable steel coated with black powder. It has 26 x 13 x 1 mm truss bars along with strong legs that are square shaped. The sliders are operated using a safe push button. Spare parts are also provided along with it.
The canopy material is made up of Polyester lined with PU and is waterproof. On the underside of this canopy, velcros are present to attach the walls.
- The manufacturer provides a warranty of 6 months.
- The durable and sturdy built prevents wearing off.
- Although the manufacturer claims that the product is completely waterproof it is not suitable for use in heavy rainfall.
5. Giantex POP up Wedding Party Tent Folding Gazebo Beach Canopy
The Giantex 10’x20’ Ez POP up Wedding Party Tent Folding Gazebo Beach Canopy is made up of a durable steel frame and is coated with white powder. The manufacturer claims that it blocks 99% UV rays and provides immense UV protection. This waterproof pop-up canopy is available in five beautiful shades- Cafe, white, red, green and blue. The canopy’s dimensions are 10’X20′ feet with a height of 6.56’ from the top edge and 8.36′ from the center.
- Due to its durable material, the canopy doesn’t wear out easily.
- The wind resistance makes it perfect for a windy day.
- It requires at least 3-4 people to set up.
6. Quik Shade GO Hybrid Compact Slant Leg Backpack Canopy
This canopy has a 7×7 feet base and a 6×6 feet fabric top. It gives about 36 square feet of shade area. The Quik Shade GO Hybrid Compact Slant Leg Backpack Canopy is made up of corrosion resistant steel that is coated with powder, lightweight and sturdy. Since it weighs only 14 lbs it is quite easy to transport. It further aids in easy transportation by providing a backpack containing zippered pockets. The full package includes a canopy top, canopy frame, and a half panel wall. The backpack is made up of 600D polyester that is very durable.
The top has an Aluminex coating that provides 99% UV protection. The assembly is easy and the height can also be easily adjusted with the 3-piece telescoping-type design of the legs.
- It provides UV protection to a great extent.
- The canopy is easy to transport and assemble.
- Some people might consider this canopy too small.
7. Tangkula EZ POP UP Canopy Tent
The Tangkula 10’X10’ EZ POP UP Canopy Tent is made up of durable steel frame coated with white powder. This 10’X10′ feet (length & width) canopy tent has a total height of 8 feet and from the top edge, its height is 6 3/5 feet. The full package includes one tent, one carry bag, stakes, and ropes.
It has a rich color that doesn’t fade away easily. The underside is silver that keeps it cool. And such wonderful features at an affordable price? That’s an added advantage! It is easy to assemble and takes less than 10 minutes to fully set up.
- It is one of the most affordable options out there as far as pop-up canopy tents are concerned.
- The color is rich and doesn’t fade away easily.
- It is not suitable for use in heavy thunderstorms.
8. Pop Up Canopy Tent 10 x 10 Feet, Blue
This pop-up canopy tent is built with durable materials and sturdy design in order to make it last longer. The manufacturer provides one year warranty and if you register online you will get a free warranty for 2 whole years! It is waterproof to prevent damage by rainwater and provides maximum UV protection. The quick release button is the best part as it provides instant shade.
Also Read – Best Two Way Radios Reviews
The high ceiling and adjustable height add to its benefits. It has a compact design, so it doesn’t occupy much storage space. A carry bag with a strong shoulder strap and a 4-piece set of stakes is provided with additionally.
- It provides instant shade with the quick release button.
- It saves a lot of storage space.
9. Caravan Canopy
The Caravan Straight Leg Display Shade Commercial Canopy is made up of a full truss durable steel frame. It provides 100 square ft. of shade along with excellent water-resistance and 99% protection from UV rays. The steel frame is white- powder coated in order to prevent rusting, peeling, corrosion or chipping.
It has total 5 settings for leg height that enhances the adjustability to a great extent. It also includes 4 stakes, a roller bag, and a 2-year warranty.
- Caravan canopy provides protection against UV rays of the sun to a great extent.
- The durable material prevents wear and tear.
- It is pre-assembled and easy to set up.
- It’s not completely waterproof.
10. American Phoenix Portable Event Canopy Tent
The American Phoenix Portable Event Canopy Tent comes in 5 bright and beautiful colors- blue, purple, red, white and yellow; and 3 different sizes- 10 ft X 10 ft, 10 ft X15 ft and 10 ft X 20 ft. It is made up of oxford cloth that is durable and water-resistant. The durable steel frame is coated with a corrosion resistant powder that protects the tent from rusting. This is one of the best options out there for backyard events, parties, and commercial use.
- It is lightweight, therefore, easy to carry.
- One person is enough to open it up.
- It is not suitable for use in heavy rainfall.
- The support posts are not as strong as claimed.
How to Secure a Pop-up Canopy
If you are hosting an outdoor activity it is very important to place a pop-up canopy properly. The most important thing with this canopy that it should be fixed at its place and should not move here and there. It should be secured in its proper position.
These types of tents are mostly prepared with a very light material because of its portable use. But this is also one of the causes that makes it easily fly away if not properly fixed or assembled.
Also Read – Best 2 Person Tent Reviews
It creates more hassle if it flies away in between when a particular event is going on. It is really a stressful thing to reassemble all from scratch and in between the crowd.
There are basically two ways to avoid this kind of a mishappening in your event and secure your pop-up canopy in its position. Tent Weights and Tent Anchors may be used to do this job.
These tent weights can be placed on each leg of this pop-up canopy. You should hang them at some critical points and make sure that canopy is properly placed and secured. But you should also keep in mind that these tent weights are very heavy and if you are moving them from one place to another then it is very difficult to set it up. So many people do not recommend to use it often. Some of the tent weights are portable. It totally depends on the material that is being used.
Basically, Tent Anchors are drilled and fixed into the ground and after being properly fit into the ground, they are connected to the canopy. This method keeps the canopy more secure and safe. It is basically used at beaches and snow grounds. It can not be used on a hard surface unless these anchors are specially designed for rocky surfaces as drilling is required to fix these anchors into the ground.
Related – Best Tree Stand Reviews
Most popular tent anchors are tent stakes. These stakes are directly attached to the leg of your canopy and inserted into the ground or even hooked to each corner or leg of the pop-up canopy.
Following are some of the important points everyone should keep in mind while using a pop-up canopy:
First of all, you should ensure that canopy should be located on a flat surface and also make sure that it is free from obstacles of any kind like rocks, sticks etc.
Open and stretch it and make sure that entrance is in right directions and free from any obstacles.
Firstly, take one corner of the canopy and insert the tent stake in canopy loop and then insert into the ground through drilling. Make sure that it is properly inserted. Screw it tightly. Recheck again that it should not unscrew. Always keep in mind the weather condition while using tent stakes.
All types of stakes are not much effective all weather condition. For example, plastic stakes are easily broken in cold temperature. So the selection of tent stakes material is also a very important thing. Canopy stakes made up of aluminum are highly recommended.
Apart from these canopy stakes or anchors, Canopy Feet are also a good option to make the canopy well secured. You can prepare these canopy feet at home. You only need one large sized container, concrete and some other heavy objects.
If you are using Canopy feet you just have to follow these steps.
- Open and stretch the canopy as you did before.
- On each leg of canopy instead of using tent stakes place a container, it will be represented as canopy feet.
- After placing this container pour sand, water, stones or concrete till legs are placed properly and firmly.
- It should be done on each leg of the canopy. Once it is done you can just decorate these feets matching with the canopy.
By using above mentioned methods you can enjoy your any outdoor events or activities using secured and safe pop-up canopy.
How to Weigh Down a Pop-up Canopy
In normal days pop-up canopy tent is easy to setup but when it is a windy day this canopy tent can easily fly away. Even in a slight breezy air, it can get disturbed from its place. It starts moving here and there. This happens especially when you install the canopy wall. It is because of the material you are using and the type of design of the canopy tent. To avoid this problem of canopy tent moving and swaying we should fix the leg area or we should weigh down the tent using Tent Weights.
Tent Weights as the name suggests are materials that are is used to weigh down the pop-up canopy tent. They can be used on any surface. But these tent weights are really bulky, around 40 pounds. The weight may be vary depending upon the material of the canopy we are using. Type of event is also important while choosing weights for a pop-up canopy.
There are various types of tent weights available in the market that can be used for your pop-up canopy.
- First one is Secured tent weight. In this type of tent weight, the base of each leg of the tent is attached to the tent weight to hold it down.
- The second one is suspended tent weight. In this type of tent weight, the weights hang from the important or vital side of the tent to hold that place. In many events or activities organizers also suggest using these suspended tent weights because these types of the tent weights do not capture much space on the floor.
- Another type of weight is called fillable weight. These type of tent weight is filled with water, sand or other heavy objects, so that pop-up canopy is fully secured and safe. And after the event is over it is easy to remove this sand or water from these weights. These types of tent weights are reusable and easy to maintain.
- One more option is available as tent weights as weight plates. These weight plates are also very secure and it does not take much space on the floor.
Here are some of the tent weights you can easily make at your home:
Weights using PVC Pipe
In this type of weight 4 or more PVC pipes of 3-4” are used and they are filled with concrete to make the pipe heavy. The weight totally depends on your requirement. Once the filling is done, cover the pipe with a cap. Now it is ready to use as a tent weights. You can also use multiple color PVC pipe available as per your choice.
Large filled Buckets
In this process, a large bucket is filled with huge amount of water or sand. Minimum of 40 pounds weight is required to make the canopy secure from the wind. These weights can easily be prepared on the event site itself. You do not need to carry bulky tent weights. Whenever you want to set up the canopy you can just fill the bucket and the tent weights are ready. You just need to cover it with decorative items to make it presentable.
Stone filled Jugs
Instead of sand or water, the stone is also an option used for weighing down the tent. In this method, large jugs are filled with stones or small rocks to make the jug heavier. Close the jugs tightly. Now hang it in the critical or important area of this pop-up canopy and make the tent secure.