Best Reel Mower Reviews: Everyone dreamt of owning a villa with a lush green lawn inside it. Maintaining a lawn is not an easy task. It demands your blood and soul. But this tedious job can be achieved by means of a lawnmower. This machine lends a helping hand to trim down the grass and other bushes in your lawn and gives a neat and tidy look to your lawn. A regular and right trimming of those unnecessary growths will bestow a green sheet like look to die for.
Though you have ample options available but our suggestion is to pick a reel mower as it will not only maintain your lawn but it is also an eco-friendly option. So, have a well-trimmed lawn with our best reel mowers.
- 1 What is a Lawn Mower?
- 1.1 1. Fiskars 18 Inch Staysharp Max Reel Mower
- 1.2 2. Great States 415-16
- 1.3 3. GreenWorks 25052 16-Inch Reel Lawn Mower
- 1.4 4. American Lawn Mower 1304-14
- 1.5 5. Great States 20In. Hand Reel Push Lawn Mower 2000-20
- 1.6 6. Remington RM3100 18-Inch Reel Push Mower
- 1.7 7. Gardena 4023 15-Inch Silent Push Reel Lawn Mower 380
- 1.8 8. Great States 204-14 Hand Reel 14 Inch Push Lawn Mower
- 1.9 9. Fiskars 17 Inch Staysharp Push Reel Lawn Mower
- 1.10 10. Sun Joe MJ501M Mow Joe 18-Inch Manual Reel Mower
- 2 Types of Lawn Mowers
- 3 Why choose a Reel Mower
- 4 Reel Mower Buying Guide
What is a Lawn Mower?
A lawn mower is an instrument that cuts a grass surface with uniformity and to an even height via its one or more rotating blades. It comes with a battery operated, manually operated and gas operated device. Each device is designed in a different manner with a different work mechanism.
1. Fiskars 18 Inch Staysharp Max Reel Mower
- The smart design of our eco-friendly reel mower offers a cleaner cut without the hassles of gasoline, oil, battery charging, electrical cords or loud engine noise
- A combination of advanced technologies make the StaySharp Max Reel Mower 60% easier to push than other reel mowers
- Patent-pending InertiaDrive Reel delivers twice the cutting power to blast through twigs, weeds and tough spots that would jam other reel mowers
- Exclusive StaySharp Cutting System uses precision-ground, hardened steel blades to cut grass without touching, greatly reducing friction and blade wear for long-lasting performance without costly annual blade sharpening
- Limited three-year warranty Amazon,
Fikars Staysharp is the synonyms of effectively, precision and durability. As its name suggests, the blades of this reel mower stays sharp for longer time. Thus, cuts down your maintenances cost and efforts. Once sharpen, cuts for centuries. It perfectly combines the patent-pending technology with a cut above ergonomics to deliver one of its kinds cutting performance without putting you in a pit of hassle of gasoline, oil, or charging.
You can use your hands to move it and it will do the job perfectly without creating the annoying noise. Its InertiaDrive Reel is there to bestow you with an extra pinch of cutting capacity. Staysharps comes with a VersaCut Technology that is engineered for easy cut height adjustment. By means of this cutting-edge technology, you will get finely-trimmed grass that will look like a neat sheet. The list of benefits continues with a limited 3-years warranty on the device.
2. Great States 415-16
Great States delivers great results as it shear the grass with such a precision that it will look like a work of art. It shuns ripping and tearing of the grass. The cutting width of this reel is of 16” that can be easily adjusted up to 2-1/2-inch. You need not to sweat it out to put it forward. Its 10-inch ball bearing wheels trim downs your efforts. The handles along with the body is coated with powder that bestows its longevity and prevent it from rusting.
Also Read – Best Wheelbarrow Reviews
The blades are well-treated with heat technology that makes them sharper, then a tiger’s claws. While it will maintain your lawn with full efficiency, it demands very less in return. It is a lightweight unit so easy to maneuver in any backyard or lawn. All you need to do is just push it and it will cut as easy as clapping. Once done, you can hang it on your wall as it comes with robust hooks. So, no smell, no noise, and no cords to attach, just an easy, effective and hassle-free cut.
3. GreenWorks 25052 16-Inch Reel Lawn Mower
The product gets its name by its ability to protect the environment. Being a reel, it dumps all the gas, petrol, electricity and battery resources to operate it. A gentle push will put it in action. It will not consume much of your time for trimming a large area as the reel encompasses 16” cutting trail. With its each movement, it will cover up a large part of your yard. It comes with mulching and rear bag capabilities.
You have bushes; grass, other weed of various heights in your lawn and idea of trimming them makes your throat dry; take a breather with Greenworks. This reel mower comes with 4 position height tuning presents a range of slashing height from 1 1/8″ to 2 1/4″. Two 10″ front wheels and 2″ a rear roller makes it an easy to move unit. It is made with keeping all standards in mind and comes with 4-years warranty. With all these features, we could easily say that buying this reel mower would be a wise decision.
4. American Lawn Mower 1304-14
American Lawn Mowers is a trusted and well-liked brand in this industry. Each product from the extensive catalog of the brand has won the hearts of million law owner because of their unmatched performance and durability. Backed with its popularity and worthiness, American Lawn Mower 1304-14 is reel mower from the brand.
It don’t have an engine or any kind of outer power supply option which means they don’t generates harmful emissions and make noise; only a clean and quiet cut. It is light weighted unit that requires little effort to maneuver. If you have a small, compact yet beautiful lawn, then this reel with enhance its beauty by cutting down those extra weed with its 14-inch cutting width. It will incise the grass with full accuracy via its heat-treated alloy steel blades.
Related – Best Portable Basketball hoop Reviews
The mower is adjustable so you can easily place it at desired heights. Its T-style handles gives a better hold of it. The assembly of this reel mower doesn’t require any specific set of tools. Its alloy steel construction will last long. The only disadvantage is that you will be deprived of this ultra light and compact reel mower, if you have a big lawn.
5. Great States 20In. Hand Reel Push Lawn Mower 2000-20
GreatStates reel mower is an intelligent choice for a small lawn. It encompasses quick-snap height adjusters for different heights of grass. Another noteworthy feature of this mower is its dual-wheel tracking to keep your proceeds in the right direction. The cutting width of this reel mower is 20” that means you can clear a larger area at a single cut.
Its 1′-3′ height range is highly flexible. It has a dimension of 27.50 x 17.50 x 10.50 Inches that makes it a compact gear. The body is constructed with utmost precision by the use of superior quality alloy steel.
6. Remington RM3100 18-Inch Reel Push Mower
Remington is yet another trusted brand and is a market leader. RM3100 18-Inch Reel Push Mower continues the legacy. The mower has a18-inch cutting path that makes it a right pick for light or medium duty yard work. As it a reel, then you are not going to increase the already at the peak pollution level in the environment.
Also Read – Best Hose Reel Reviews
It comes with 5 blades that make it suitable to cut down medium and soft grass variety. Why litter the mow in every nook and corner when you can collect it. The 2-in-1 mulching feature does this job perfectly. It dual lever bestows it with height adjustability. The unit comes with 18-inch cutting path gives you the power to cut the lawn the way you want. As Remington is trusted the brand and known for offering the best to the customers, this reel mower also comes with a 2-year limited warranty.
7. Gardena 4023 15-Inch Silent Push Reel Lawn Mower 380
If you are looking for a compact yet efficient reel mower for your lawn, then go for Gardena 4023. This reel mower is a work of art as it has achieved the heights of utility with its minimalistic design; just a handle blade and wheel and super working power. The mower will not disturb your neighbors as it hardly makes noise.
As it is a lightweight unit, so need not to put extra effort to push it forwards. A gentle push will also work. It comes with contact-free cutting technology that gives it an edge over others. The cutting cylinder is made from high-quality steel along with a hardened and non-stick coating on cutting cylinder to avoid the sticking of grass. Its handy height controller grants you the power to adjust the height of the mower as per your need and requirements.
Transportation of this light and compact reel mower further eases down with its handles. Its stinking blue color will catch your attention once. The unit has a 12 months parts and labor warranty. So, don’t worries if your mower gets any damage, though we doubt will get any.
8. Great States 204-14 Hand Reel 14 Inch Push Lawn Mower
This is another amazing product from the Brand Great States. This reel mower has a 14-inch cutting width that makes it a suitable chopper for small yards. It makes sure that you and your neighbors don’t get annoyed with the sound of the mower, so works with a hush. It comes with 3 spiders 4 blades and the blades are supreme sharpness that gives an accurate cut to the grass. The alloy steel body makes it a tough one to sustain.
Related – Benefits of Gardening [Infographic]
The cutting height of this reel mower is of 1/2-Inch to 1-1/2-Inch that can be easily adjusted as per your liking. Another noteworthy feature of Great State reel is its steel side plates and formed torsion tube that enhances that cut quality and utility of the unit. Transporting and pushing of this reel is also an easy task. Thanks to its 8-1/2-Inch diameter high impact polymer wheels with integral molded tread. In short, if you have a small lawn with beautiful Roses and Sunflowers, then this reel mower is a must have for you.
9. Fiskars 17 Inch Staysharp Push Reel Lawn Mower
You need not own different reel mowers for different varieties of grass. Fiskars 17 Inch Staysharp Push Reel Lawn Mower cuts all variety of grass that is commonly found in housing vicinity with a single set of blades. The design needs extra applauds as its advanced design cuts down your pushing efforts by 30 percent. So, save your energy for your leisure time activities.
As needs only the power of your hands and a push, there is no foul smell of combustion and annoying sound. Unlike other mowers, it will demands less attention for the maintenance as its blades stay sharper for a longer time. One of the most notable features of this reel mower is its Patent-pending InertiaDrive that give it 50 percent extra cutting powers which make cutting an easy and less-tiring job.
10. Sun Joe MJ501M Mow Joe 18-Inch Manual Reel Mower
The last reel mower in our list is Sun Joe MJ501M Mow Joe 18-Inch, Manual Reel Mower. There is no messy gas, no foul smell, no pollution, no hefty electricity bills and no noise with this unit. The reel comes with 18-inch cutting width. The height adjustments of this reel mower have surpassed all the standards as it has 9 position manual height adjustments that its entire contemporary lacks. So, give a nice cut to the weed of all varieties and height.
The maximum height is up to 2.44-inch.The MJ501M comes with a handy rear bag to collect the garbage and saves your cleaning time. So, collect as you mow. Its two large 10-inch wheels and two small 6-inch wheels make it easy to push and maneuver. Sharpe hardens blades further ensures you for a tailor-like cut. The reel is has a perfect blend of utility, durability, and style as it is built from superior quality alloy steel and has a minimalist design that strikes our minds. The product comes backed by 2-years warranty.
You May Also Like – Best Electric Chainsaw Reviews
You can easily turn the reaction of Oh, so shabby lawn! to Oh, so beautiful lawn, if you have a lawnmower. But if you have a reel lawn mower, then get ready to have one more compliment. With negligible maintenance, all resources to beautify your lawn and zero carbon footprints along with a capability to burn your calories, a reel mower is indeed a blessing in disguise.
Types of Lawn Mowers
Lawn Mowers are distributed in various categories as per two criteria: On the basis of their rotation and on the basis of energy sourced used. Let’s know about them in brief.
Rotation based division
If we pay attention to the rotation of the lawn mower; we will come up with two verities i.e. Reel mowers and Rotary mowers.
- Reel Mowers – A Reel mower also known as cylinder mower encompasses a rigid and set, horizontal cutting blade at the preferred height of cut. This variety has a fast-spinning reel of blades which push the grass past the cutting bar. You can operate it by simply pushing. That means there is no need for energy sources is required apart from your physical strength and energy. The chief parts of a reel mower are blade reel/cylinder, bed knife, body frame, wheels, push handle and a driving motor.
- Rotary mowers – As it names suggest, a rotary mower rotates about a vertical axis while the blades are spinning at a supersonic speed with high impact on grass. It is a rough method and gives an untidy and uneven cut to the lawn grass. The essential parts of a rotary mower are cutter deck housing, blade mounting and driving system, mower blade, powered engine, and wheels that give it mobility.
Use of energy source based division
Lawnmowers are further divided as per their energy sources. Here is the list of these varieties.
- Gasoline or Patrol Lawn Mowers – In this variety, the lawn mower has an internal combustion engine such as four-stroke engines to operate. The engine uses gasoline or patrol as its fuel. As they run on fuel, they are less recommended by us as they produce pollution. Top of that, they demand much of maintenance. We would suggest you top ditch this option because who wants to maintain own garden at the cost of the whole environment.
- Electrical mowers –These types of mowers require an electric motor to function. They consume much of electricity and we are pretty sure that if have one, then definitely a single trimming session of your lawn costs you a bomb. Our take on this, buy only if you have a hefty bank balance.
- Manual mowers -It’s highly recommended by us as it comes with zero carbon footprints and no pocket-pinching. In this variant, the reel is attached to the mower’s wheels by comprehensive gears, with the intention that when the mower is pressed and pulled forward, the reel twirls numerous times and cuts the grass with accuracy. A reel mower is the example of this type.
Apart from these, a hover mower, a robotic mower, a tractor-pulled mower, riding mower, and a mulching mower is other various know mowers varieties. But they are designed to use on a large or industrial scale. As we are here to discuss the lawn mowers, so we decided not to throw limelight on these verities. But, it’s our promise that we will come up an article about them soon.
Why choose a Reel Mower
Bestows you with a well-trimmed and neat looking lawn – By giving a pristine cut to the grass and weed, it gives a tidy and well-maintained appearance to your lawn. The even cutting of grass look like a work of art and will definitely amass words of appreciations.
Does its job efficiently without disturbing your neighbors – A reel mower is the one that will not drive your neighbors insane, like others lawn mowers. It functions with a hush. So, along with you, your neighbors will also go to love it.
Also Read – Best Garden Hose Reviews
It runs on your muscles power – A reel mower will not only trim and toned your lawn but your muscles as well because it demands you to push it forward. It is actually a hidden exercise tool.
Zero carbon footprints – Why to go for something that will harm your environment? With a reel mower, you are not going to commit this crime as a reel more is entirely eco-friendly with zero footprints.
Reel Mower Buying Guide
Finding a reel mower for your lawn demands your attention on few essential points so that you make the best purchase. Our comprehensive reel mower buying guide will lead you in this. Keep on reading.
First, be familiar with your property
Before purchasing a reel mower, you should be well-aware of your lawn or yard. If you stay in a hilly area where your lawn also has some rocks or rocky pitch, then most likely a reel mower is definitely a no for you. Additionally, if your lawn is in acres, then also you should ditch the idea of buying a lawn as it will take ages to trim the area. So, before heading to the market, do little research on this.
Keep a count on a number of blades
Once you are done with property analysis and you think that a reel is what your lawn wants, then it’s time to pay attention to numbers of a blade. Reel mowers are liable in 4, 5 or 7 blades. You have to pick it according to the type of grass in your backyard. Bermuda or St.Augustine will demand 7-blade reel while Fescue or Kentucky will cut down easily with the 5-blade reel.
The width factor
Reel mowers come in various widths ranging from 14 to 20 inches. The wider is the mower, the rapid is the action. A 20-inch mower will trim a lawn more than 30 % faster than a 14-inch mower. At times, I wonder how versatile a reel mower is.
The matter of ergonomics and build
Never ignore this factor, as it is a crucial one. You don’t want to spend even 1 dollar on a thing that will last until evening or for a single use. Less cost might lure for a moment but always look for an option that would be superior quality at affordable price.
Adjustability of the mower
Not all the grass is of the same height, then why your mower should be. Always check for various heights adjustments of your mower as it will be of great use while cutting down the grass.
Last update on 2020-08-09 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API